Email: Call Now: +1.647 427 1518
Select Type:

  • Refresh
FAQ – Lawyer Answers

Immigrating under the QSWP is essentially a two stage submission process. The first stage is applying to the Province of Quebec and they issue the CSQ. The second stage is to the Federal Government which grants the permanent residence visa!

The vast majority of the work is done once an applicant has been granted the CSQ and, generally speaking, all one has to provide in the second stage to the Federal Government is the police clearance certificates and the medical examination report once they are requested.

Post Graduate Work Permit
After your studies are completed you should be granted a post-graduate work permit. This is themuch sought after “open” work permit which means the holder can work in any occupation theywish, anywhere in Canada, and it is not tied to a Canadian employer. The length of the permit is determined by the length of your program of study, when taken full time.

Csq Eligibility
If your program of study is 900 hours or more, students can submit their CSQ application when they are 50% done the requirements of the course. What this means is that your application is processing while you are studying. As you can see the timing of when the application is submitted can mean the difference between staying in Canada continuously, or having to temporarily relocate back to your country of citizenship. Benefit from our years of experience to ensure a fast and smooth transition to Canadian life.

Adaptability Points (Maximum 6)
Immigration Quebec believes that knowledge of Quebec’s geography, culture, constitution and traditions will help a newcomer integrate more easily into Quebec and Canadian Society. These adaptability points are awarded in the immigration interview. It’s been my experience that my clients are often nervous about their interview. I’m here to put your mind at ease. I believe I have a winning strategy to not only help you pass, but also excel in your interview. Additionally, as an Immigration Attorney I have the right to attend your interview with you to ensure that everything
goes according to plan.

English Language - Ielts
For Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP), General and Academic IELTS, less than 2 years old, are acceptable.

French Language
It is very possible to submit an application under the QSWP without any French language proficiency but the applicant must have enough points to qualify without it.

Selection Factors
There are many different categories to earn points but it has been our experience that we can play around with the various selection factors to maximize your total point score to make it easier for you to qualify. In general the applicant and their spouse (if applicable) will be assessed on the following:
Level of education
Maximum: 12 points
Upon successful completion of DEP program students are
awarded 10 points.
Area of training (what is written on the diploma)
Maximum: 16 points
Some programs of study will award 6 points, 12 points or 16 points
The amount of work experience an applicant has in the last 5 years
Maximum: 8 points
Full points are achieved if the applicant has 48 months or
more of work experience in the last 5 years
The age of the applicant
Maximum: 16 points
If the applicant is 18-35 years old you will receive the
maximum 16 points.
English language
Maximum: 6 points
An applicant can claim up to 6 points based on their English proficiency. "Only Listening and Speaking are tested"
French language
Maximum: 16 points
An applicant can claim up to 16 points based on their French proficiency. "Only Listening and Speaking are tested"
Stay in Quebec
Maximum: 5 points
An applicant can claim 5 points if they study in Quebec for two semesters.
Family in Quebec
Maximum: 3 points
Only includes: Mother/father, niece/nephew, aunt/uncle,
Grandparents and spouse or children
The age and number of children an applicant has (if applicable)
Maximum: 8 points
Children under 12 = 4 points each
Children 13 to 21 = 2 points each

Freedom Of Mobility
When students apply under the Quebec Skilled Worker program they should show intention to reside in the province of Quebec but as a Canadian Permanent Resident your freedom to live and work anywhere in Canada is protected under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Extract from FAQs prepared by Mr. Renaud Dery, Immigration Lawyer.  Immigration policies are subject to change and students are advised to consult CIC website or contact the Lawyer for more updated information.

Scroll to top